Thursday, February 8, 2018

Tiny House, Big Answers

February 8, 2018 – When I got the idea to build my tiny mansion, I never thought it would lead to so many hurdles to overcome. I mean, tiny houses are up and coming – it was supposed to be easy to build one, buy a piece of land, put a septic and well on it, then live happily ever after. Boy was I wrong. So there weren’t only hurdles to decide what color I wanted my walls painted or the outside stained, but what appliances would actually fit in the house, what furniture, what flooring and insulation would be the best. Okay, the decisions have been made for those questions. Even though Big Tex isn’t done, it should be easy to get financing for a piece of land, septic, and a well, right? Nope.

The current hurdle is finding a bank to apparently take a risk on Big Tex. I mean, she’s a tiny mansion on wheels and apparently they’re afraid that I’ll stop paying on my land, pack her up and move to California. Well, I’m a New England woman, born and raised, but the bank isn’t going to take my word for it. Trying to find a local bank that offers financing on land is an endeavor in itself. So far several banks have told me that they don’t do land loans, and the one bank that does hasn’t gotten back to me yet (not a big deal, I’ll just harass them later). So what’s a woman with a tiny mansion and big dreams supposed to do? Start a GoFundMe page? Write to Ellen DeGeneres and hope that Shutterfly will give me $10,000?


Anywho, it had been awhile since I posted an update so I thought I’d send out some recent hurdles and thoughts. Working on Big Tex is currently on hold, as the last round of boards that I painted are under some snow…maybe a foot or so, and even if I did unbury them, there’s nowhere to dry them out. For those wondering, I’m still living with NGB and awaiting a good spring thaw. Hopefully happier, more successful updates to follow…


No comments:

Post a Comment